Tuesday, August 02, 2011

Something so simple

I have thin, fine hair. I have to wash it every day. So, in an effort to reduce the amount of times I have to shampoo, I went for a stroll on Google to see what others are doing to remedy this situation. Believe me, it's a situation. I would wake up in the morning with greasy locks that had to be contained under a hat if I wanted to go work out before getting ready for the day. Never would I be caught dead leaving the house without shampooing first.

No 'Poo - that's the unfortunate name for the movement I discovered online. It's practiced by folks from all walks of life! I switched from shampoo to baking soda to clean my head and hair. My understanding is that there will be a transition period while my body gets used to not having the natural oils stripped from my hair.

I started using the baking soda - in the form of a paste made with water - about a week ago. It cleans my hair, but leaves enough oils to give it body. I can style my hair and it stays all day, which is really amazing. It's like having product in your hair with out the expense. But over several days, it started to get dull and have lots of static. So I cheated and used shampoo to restart. Can't believe how lifeless my hair was after that shampoo!

Today, I followed up the baking soda paste with a light spray of apple cider vinegar. I cannot believe how beautiful and silky smooth my hair is!!!

I'm a changed woman. And now, I'm going to have some extra change, because of all the money I'm going to save on hair care!!! Life is good!

No comments: